John M. Daly
John M. Daly practices law in New York City as The Law Office of John M. Daly. Since 1995, John also has been “Of counsel” to The Fitzgerald Law Firms focusing primarily on medical malpractice litigation; appeals; dispositive motions; post-trial motions; infant compromise orders; trusts; annuities; lien resolution; and immigration.
John graduated summa cum laude from Creighton University School of Law in Omaha, Nebraska in 1984. John was Editor-in-Chief of the Creighton Law Review, author of a law review article, and a member of Alpha Sigma Nu, the National Jesuit Honor Society. John and his partner were winners of Creighton’s (annual, junior year) Appellate Moot Court Competition. John was the recipient of the Nebraska Association of Trial Attorneys’ Roscoe Pound Award for Appellate Advocacy, as well as a member of Creighton’s Philip C. Jessup International Moot Court Team.
Following graduation from Creighton, John attended the Naval Justice School in Newport, R.I. where he graduated first in his class and was awarded an ABA commendation highlighting his achievement. John then served for three years as a Judge Advocate in the U.S. Marine Corps, where served as a prosecutor and he was appointed a Special Assistant U.S. Attorney for the Eastern District of North Carolina, responsible for prosecuting crimes committed by civilians at Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune, North Carolina. John prosecuted felonies in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of North Carolina. While serving in this capacity, John obtained a first degree murder conviction as lead prosecutor in a federal jury trial in the United States District Court in Raleigh, North Carolina. While serving as a Judge Advocate, John also tried 10 court-marshals to the military equivalent of a jury.
Following his tenure as a Marine Judge Advocate, John came to New York and joined Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom as a litigation associate where, for the next four years, he worked on mergers and acquisitions, corporate governance, attorney conflict of interest, and securities-related litigation matters.
John then moved to Deutsche Klagsbrun & Blasband, a copyright litigation firm in Manhattan where he spent the next three years litigating intellectual property disputes in federal court before forming The Law Office of John M. Daly and his present “Of counsel” relationship with The Fitzgerald Law Firm.
Before attending law school on a Marine Corps-sponsored program, John served for six years as a Marine Corps aviator, accumulating over 1300 hours as the pilot-in-command in the F-4 Phantom, a two-seat, supersonic jet fighter. John is a graduate of the U.S. Navy’s “Top Gun” Fighter Pilot Training School in Miramar, CA.
- Appellate Practice
- Infant Compromise Orders
- Trust and Annuities
- Lien Resolution
- Commercial Litigation
- Medical Malpractice Litigation
- Infant Lead Poisoning
- Class Action Litigation
- Rider University, Lawrenceville, New Jersey, Bachelor of Science in Commerce, 1975
- Creighton University School of Law, Omaha, Nebraska, Juris Doctor, summa cum laude, 1984
- Alpha Sigma Nu, National Jesuit Honor Society
- Editor-in-Chief, Creighton Law Review, 1983-1984
- Recipient, Outstanding Service Award, Creighton University School of Law, 1984
- Author: Comment, “L.B. 568: Nebraska’s New Drunken Driving Law,” 16 Creighton Law Review 90 (1982)
- Naval Justice School, Naval Base, Newport, Rhode Island, 1984
- Author (with John E. Fitzgerald): “A Guide to Resolving Medicaid Liens in New York after ‘Ahlborn’’’, N.Y.L.J., August 25, 2006
- Author (with James P. Fitzgerald, Randy Nassau & Margaret Johnson-Pertet): “ACOG Swings… & Misses – Yet Again”, Birth Trauma Litigation Journal of the AAJ (2015)
- Deutsch, Klagsburn & Blasband, 1991-1995
- Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom, New York City Office, 1987-1991
- Special Assistant United States Attorney, Eastern District of North Carolina, 1986-1987
- Chief Review Officer, Office of the Staff Judge Advocate, Camp Lejeune, North Carolina, 1985-1986
- Senior Defense Counsel, Office of the Staff Judge Advocate, Camp Lejeune, North Carolina, 1984-1985
Admitted to Practice
- New York, 1989
- Navy-Marine Corps Court of Criminal Appeals
- United States Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces
- United States District Court for the Southern District of New York
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- United States District Court for the District of Nebraska
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
- United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit, 1999
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit, 1986
- New York State Bar Association
- New York State Trial Lawyers Association
- American Association For Justice
- American Bar Association
- Bronx County Bar Association
- Westchester County Bar Association
- American Immigration Lawyers’ Association
A team of lawyers from The Fitzgerald Law Firm wrote an article in response to the American College of Obstetrics & Gynecologists’ Neonatal Encephalopathy and Neurological Outcome (Second Edition), which was published in the prestigious Birth Trauma Litigation Journal of the American Association for Justice. Read it here.